From "Chris Van Pelt" <vanp...@gmail.com>
Subject More on performance
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2009 21:11:38 GMT
Since the "Slooow View" thread yesterday I've upgraded both Erlang and
Couch.  I did some benchmarks and found some interesting results.  The
benchmarks refer to this view: http://gist.github.com/44497

Benchmark.realtime {db.view("Judgment/aggregate", {:startkey =>
[68,0], :endkey => [68,"Z"]})}
=> 0.899371862411499
Benchmark.realtime {db.view("Judgment/aggregate", {:startkey =>
[68,0], :endkey => [68,"Z"], :group => true})}
=> 1.49064207077026

Benchmark.realtime {db.view("Judgment/aggregate", {:startkey =>
[68,0], :endkey => [68,"Z"], :limit => 50})}
=> 0.868830919265747
Benchmark.realtime {db.view("Judgment/aggregate", {:startkey =>
[68,0], :endkey => [68,"Z"], :group => true, :limit=>50})}
=> 0.551984071731567

First off, these times are about twice as fast as I was seeing
yesterday, awesome!  The most interesting aspect of the benchmark was
the group and limit combination creating the fastest response...  All
of this leads me to a couple, most likely ignorant questions regarding
what's happening behind the scenes.

1. Are the results of the reduce step stored to disk and pointed to by
the index, or re-computed on every view request?
2. When new documents are added and the index recomputed, is the
reduce step repeated for every document in the database?

I love couch, and I'm really hoping I can bend it into my paradigm.  I
can't find any other data store that has more promise.

Cheers,

Chris