From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: drill into a doc with a GET?
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2009 12:20:11 GMT

On Jan 8, 2009, at 6:28 AM, Antony Blakey wrote:

> On 08/01/2009, at 9:11 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
>> Eh?
>>
>> 1) This is the *ideal* place to explore diff support.  JSON came
>> about because someone just did it and built things with it.
>
> Totally agree.
>
>> 2) Couch could easily support an update mechanism that would then
>> be deprecated once Real(TM) "JSON diff" support showed up.
>
> I certainly don't want to write an RFC, but the condition was that
> partial updates wouldn't be considered unless it was an
> implementation of an RFC, and if an RFC existed, it would very
> likely be incorporated.

I'd expect that from Oracle, not a newly-minted Apache project with an
evolving codebase in a hot, emerging sector of the cloud technology
space :)

Re-reading, I take that back.  I know of cases where IBM and BEA both
put "evolving" APIs into their GA-released code for customers to use,
while at the same time bringing them to the JCP.  SDO and Work
Manager, IIRC.  In theory very healthy - the customer experiences of
IBM and BEA could be fed back into a broader expert group to produce a
spec that was based on the real world.

>> Fantastic.  So why don't you both implement your ideas in Couch and
>> then let a broad spectrum of users w/ diverse applications test
>> them and give feedback?  That seems like the only way something
>> sane can come out.
>
> Our disagreement was about the nature of the RFC - http://groups.google.com/group/json-diff/browse_thread/thread/595370127b665611

> .
>
> AFAIK Noah wasn't planning to do an implementation, and without in-
> principle PMC agreement, it's not going to happen.

I guess you can do RFCs w/o implementations, but I thought that apart
from April 1 RFCs and memos, RFCs were driven by real-world
experiences...

> IMO there are more important, fundamental issues to deal with before
> CouchDB commits to a released API.

Like getting _rev and _id out of the user data  :D

/me ducks

geir