From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: drill into a doc with a GET?
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2009 10:41:50 GMT

On Jan 8, 2009, at 12:30 AM, Antony Blakey wrote:

> On 08/01/2009, at 3:38 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
>
>>> I was hoping for a way to drill into a hierarchy of a known
>>> document and
>>> grab what I want however deep it might be from a GET (next, I will
>>> ask for
>>> PUT and DELETE :) ).
>>>

>> Partial PUT and DELETE won't ever make it in directly (AFAIK). There
>> are a couple mailing list threads debating the entire issue of
>> partial
>> updates. If there's a development in the JSON community as a whole
>> for
>> a diff format, then the last talk was that there would probably be
>> pretty quick support for a PATCH verb.
>
> The PMC's position is that partial updates (diff == patch) will only
> be adopted once there is an RFC for json diffs. The process of
> getting an RFC is long and tedious, for good reason.

Eh?

1) This is the *ideal* place to explore diff support.  JSON came about
because someone just did it and built things with it.

2) Couch could easily support an update mechanism that would then be
deprecated once Real(TM) "JSON diff" support showed up.

> Noah has setup a group for a json diff RFC here: http://groups.google.com/group/json-id

> . So far the final position seems to be that he and I have agreed to
> disagree about some philosophical points, and he's waiting for me to
> draft a RFC - but anyone can drive that as they wish. I have much
> more important issues with Couch that I want to push before that
> (global references to immutable values, unrestricted db/view names),
> and partial updates don't have any backwards-compatible issues, so
> I'm not working on it.

Fantastic.  So why don't you both implement your ideas in Couch and
then let a broad spectrum of users w/ diverse applications test them
and give feedback?  That seems like the only way something sane can
come out.

geir