From Christopher Lenz <cml...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: renamed _temp_view to _slow_view
Date Tue, 06 Jan 2009 12:24:43 GMT
On 06.01.2009, at 13:04, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
> On 6 Jan 2009, at 12:54, Noah Slater wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 12:44:24PM +0100, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
>>> There is no mechanism in CouchDB that people should use "instead
>>> of MVCC"
>>> whereas in most cases people shouldn't use _temp_views at all and
>>> we make the
>>> case that we don't really need them at all. Why should we keep
>>> them (other
>>> than "because we have them")?
>>
>> Being able to easily play/debug with views is presumably a net win.
>
> Via Futon, Chris will prepare a patch that keeps the current
> behaviour.
> Other libraries exist (CouchRest), are in the process of being updated
> (couchdb-python) and can easily be written.

I can't say for sure without seeing a more concrete proposal on how
this would be handled, but all the approaches I can imagine would be
quite the hack, leaving such "temp" design docs lying around in some
cases, and causing conflict errors when you somehow try to do two or
more queries at the same time.

And wasn't JChris' suggestion for Futon to prompt for the design/view
name before running?

Cheers,
--
Christopher Lenz