From Dean Landolt <d...@deanlandolt.com>
Subject Re: Sort by date and find by key
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2009 03:52:48 GMT
On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 10:31 PM, Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 8:29 PM, Dean Landolt <dean@deanlandolt.com>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 6:44 PM, Nicolas Fouché <nicolas@silentale.com
> >wrote:
> >
> >> OK, that's what I was thinking. I currently have all my documents in
> >> full-text search indexes. I guess I'll use CouchDB for storage and
> >> some reduce functions to build dashboards, and not for my
> >> "complicated" queries.
> >> I don't want to load my indexes down with the document content. For
> >> more efficiency, they would only contain the reverse indexes.
> >>
> >> As far as I know, the _external process cannot return document ids to
> >> CouchDB, so CouchDB returns the full document to the caller. Would you
> >> recommend doing this on the cliend side ? Query the index, and then
> >> query CouchDB with a bunch of keys ?
> >

> > This is probably a question for Paul D as he's done quite a bit of work
> in
> > this area (and is also working on a pure Erlang FTI as couch plugin). The
> > _external hook returns full docs, sure, but you control the scripts that
> > pump data into your external indices.
> >

> Unless I'm very much mistaken on changes made to the _external code,
> there's nothing that requires you to return full docs whatsoever. The
> complete response can be specified by the OS process. _external is
> extremely shallow in terms of what it requires as a response. You can
> mimic views or do something entirely different with them. For all it
> cares, you could draw mandlebrot fractals in JSON and return that as a
> body.
>
> > But don't forget that couch is more than a db -- it's an app server. It
> > wouldn't hurt to poke around github for some of the pdavis work on this.
> You
> > may be surprised with what you could accomplish by using couch as a proxy
> > and interface for other query mechanisms. Also, I'm pretty sure some of
> this
> > FI stuff is set for inclusion by 1.0, which is nice.

Sorry about that, I was making an assumption -- I haven't played too much
with it. That was meant to come out "maybe _external requires..." though,
now that I think about it I'd have known that was wrong if I'd just thought
about it.

In any event, all I was trying to say was that there's a lot more to
interacting with external processes than just some DBUpdateNotification
ability to do it.