From Dean Landolt <d...@deanlandolt.com>
Subject Re: Sort by date and find by key
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2009 01:29:29 GMT
On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 6:44 PM, Nicolas Fouché <nicolas@silentale.com>wrote:

> OK, that's what I was thinking. I currently have all my documents in
> full-text search indexes. I guess I'll use CouchDB for storage and
> some reduce functions to build dashboards, and not for my
> "complicated" queries.
> I don't want to load my indexes down with the document content. For
> more efficiency, they would only contain the reverse indexes.
>
> As far as I know, the _external process cannot return document ids to
> CouchDB, so CouchDB returns the full document to the caller. Would you
> recommend doing this on the cliend side ? Query the index, and then
> query CouchDB with a bunch of keys ?

This is probably a question for Paul D as he's done quite a bit of work in
this area (and is also working on a pure Erlang FTI as couch plugin). The
_external hook returns full docs, sure, but you control the scripts that
pump data into your external indices.

But don't forget that couch is more than a db -- it's an app server. It
wouldn't hurt to poke around github for some of the pdavis work on this. You
may be surprised with what you could accomplish by using couch as a proxy to
and interface for other query mechanisms. Also, I'm pretty sure some of this
FI stuff is set for inclusion by 1.0, which is nice.