From "Dean Landolt" <d...@deanlandolt.com>
Subject Re: drill into a doc with a GET?
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2009 15:59:29 GMT
> Here you go :)
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery-update-10/

I was going to pass that in the first time the debate raged but decided it
was best for me to stay the hell out (I have no need for JSON-update). But
as far as guidance for an RFC goes, it could be a great start. While xquery
is a ugly beast, the xquery-update facility is fairly elegant.

The problem is it requires something like xpath to work, and while json-path
exists, evaluation is not pure json and requires a javascript interpreter,
which breaks with couch's design philosophy.

<http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery-update-10/>

> Seriously though, I am thinking I need at least one more layer of
> discrimination - a collection (similar to XPath & XML DBs). I think CouchDB
> is really nice, but not for my current wants/needs.
>
> best,
> -Rob

A collection in xquery terms is really nothing more than a tag with a few
supporting APIs. What does it gives you that you can't get right out of the
box with couch?