From Jason Davies <ja...@jasondavies.com>
Subject Re: Does CouchDB check autogenerated document id's?
Date Sat, 03 Jan 2009 14:41:56 GMT

On 3 Jan 2009, at 14:17, Antony Blakey wrote:
> The multikey get in Couch should be a GET, but it can't be unless
> you want you API to be limited by the (practical) limitation on URL
> length.
>
> From an API perspective, I think POST and GET mix up idempotency
> with the ability to have a payload or not, which in practical terms
> results in people using POST when they should use GET, because those
> two issues, whilst theoretically orthogonal, and not implemented
> that way.

Continuing the tangent...

Someone should invent an extension to HTTP whereby a client may issue
multiple GET requests at once at the beginning of a single TCP
connection. These resources may take time to generate, but are
amenable to parallelisation of some kind thus making it advantageous
to do this.  This is a bit like KeepAlive, except that you can request
e.g. multiple CouchDB keys right at the beginning for maximum
performance, rather than serially.

This is where I hope someone will pipe up and say this already
exists :-)

Jason
--
Jason Davies