From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Does CouchDB check autogenerated document id's?
Date Sat, 03 Jan 2009 13:54:18 GMT
On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 12:20:43AM +1030, Antony Blakey wrote:

> On 04/01/2009, at 12:11 AM, Noah Slater wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jan 03, 2009 at 11:58:59PM +1030, Antony Blakey wrote:
>>> GET is meant to be idempotent -
>>> http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec9.html.
>>
>> So? How does the idempotency of GET affect the UUID service?
>
> In an inverse way to how I first thought. In an ideal world GET would
> carry a payload so that POST vs. GET could be decided on the basis of
> idempotency, rather than by the limitation on the size of query
> parameters.

You lost me with this. Are we still talking about CouchDB here or are we on an
(interesting but unrelated) tangent? What has the limit of query strings to do
with the decision to use POST vs. GET? Are you talking about the situation where
you want to pass in data to a GET request that would be too long (in practice,
the RFC doesn't specify a limit) for a query string? My rule of thumb would be
that if you find your self in that situation, you're doing something that could
probably be simplified.