From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Changing rev to _rev in view results (Was: Re: newbie question #1)
Date Fri, 02 Jan 2009 06:16:46 GMT
On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 04:03:50PM +1030, Antony Blakey wrote:
> It's never been clear to me that there is a process for voting - the decision
> making process within the commit group seems opaque.

If a patch was submitted, and it was in question, we could have a standard ASF
vote to decide if we wanted to accept it or not.

> I think a change to the API could be decided without reference to the code
> implementing that change. In fact, IMO the API *should* be considered
> separately from the code implementing that change. Otherwise APIs will tend to
> be decided not on the basis of design, but on the amount of effort some person
> is prepared to spend to demonstrate it, and hence code inertia, often
> resulting in expedient solutions. This means that good, but expensive ideas,
> can be lost.

This implies that expedient solutions are necessarily bad. I actually think
there is a trade-off between conceptually good ideas, and practically good
ideas. One of the things that separates those is working code! That is to say,
it's easy to come up with ideas, but harder to execute them -- and I think both
of those factors are important when you're discussing the way forward.