From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Considerations for lots and lots of databases?
Date Sat, 10 Jan 2009 19:29:54 GMT

On 11/01/2009, at 5:53 AM, Dean Landolt wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 2:03 PM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> On 10 Jan 2009, at 19:41, Antony Blakey wrote:
>>
>>> In addition, if you name your databases "foo/bar" CouchDB will
>>> actually

>>> Hmmm. The filesystem layout changes that I've proofed, and had
>>> accepted
>>> for incorporation, changes this. Filenames are munged to allow
>>> arbitrary
>>> characters, and so '/' is escaped.
>>>

>> Would it be possible to keep the current behaviour or deal with the
>> issue of lots of files in a single directory in another way?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Jan
>> --
>>

> I understand the need to escape everything, but would it be too
> difficult to
> split on '/' and and escape each part? This is the first I'm
> learning of
> this feature and I'm already missing it.

My concern is that this is an implementation leakage. And if applied
uniformly (say to view names) it would get messy.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and
I'm not sure about the former.
  -- Albert Einstein