From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: renamed _temp_view to _slow_view
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2009 03:30:20 GMT
On 07/01/2009, at 9:32 PM, Noah Slater wrote:

> Maybe someone who understands the code issues at hand (i.e. not me)
> could
> summarise the options with the pros and cons outlined by the various
> people in
> this thread and we could have a small vote on each option to see if
> there's any
> clear consensus that we're missing. It might be the case that we all
> disagree on
> our main preference but all share a second preference.

Not sure if someone is taking this task on. I'm not, but my normalized
votes would be:

1. Remove the _temp_view facility completely, because you can use a
temporary _design view, at which point you should understand the
performance implications, and it cleans up the code.

   +1

2. Leave it as _temp_view, because it does the equivalent of view
create/query/delete view in a single POST, and you can document the
performance issue.

   +0.5

3. Change it to _slow_view, because compared to _temp_view, the name
should act as an immediate warning for people who haven't read the
documentation.

   -1

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being
a damn fool about it
   -- W.C. Fields