From "Paul Carey" <paul.p.ca...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Progress of view generation
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2009 16:58:59 GMT
Hi Chris

> I have a database containing more than 11-million documents (87 GB).
>
> As can be expected, the view generation is taking quite a long time.
> The problem is, though, that I have no idea how long it could take; I'm
> not even sure whether it could be a matter of hours, days, weeks, ...

At a guess, hours, probably quite a few.

> So, I guess I am wondering if there's any way to gauge the progress of
> the generation of these views -- or at least to be sure the views are
> actually being generated and I'm not just watching the Futon
> spinny-thing go on endlessly.

There is indeed. Take a look at

/usr/local/var/lib/couchdb/.my_design_doc.couch/Myview.view

You should be able to see it growing while view generation is taking
place.  Given that you're emitting the doc as a value, and assuming
your map function as is you stated e.g. no filtering is being
performed, you can expect the size of the view file to be in the same
ballpark as the size of you database.

> That is, once the view has been generated once, can I be confident
> that further generations (assuming I've only added a small number of
> documents since the last generation) will be reasonably quick?

Yes.

Paul