From Pacific Science <pacsciad...@gmail.com>
Subject Developing a Python CouchDB surrogate
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2009 21:40:34 GMT
To all,

I'm pretty sure we can all agree that CouchDB is cool. However, there
are a lot of places where Erlang is not available. So, I came up with an
idea to write (in Python, because that's my first language) a sort of
CouchDB surrogate for situations where you want to use CouchDB, but you
can't use Erlang, like:

- You have Portable Python on your flash drive and want to code for
CouchDB on the go.
- Your Web host doesn't have CouchDB support.
- Your boss doesn't want to go to the expense of installing Erlang until
there's a working prototype.

At any rate, the development of this (which would be named Ottoman,
unless someone can think of a cooler name) would focus not so much on
speed, performance, or reliability, but matching CouchDB's API (though
the first three are nice, too). Of course, some features would be cut at
the start, like external view servers (just built-in Python view
support), external processes, etc.

If anyone's interested, let me know. I can develop the Web-facing part
of it in WSGI and handle distribution, but I could use some help as far
as document storage and handling views.

--
Regards,
LeafStorm