From Chris Wagner <christopher.t.wag...@gmail.com>
Subject Progress of view generation
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2009 15:45:33 GMT
Hi,

I have a database containing more than 11-million documents (87 GB).  I
am trying to generate some views with rather simple map functions.  For
example, my map functions look something like this: "function(doc)
{ emit(doc.myid, doc) }".  The views are not using a reduce function at
all.

As can be expected, the view generation is taking quite a long time.
The problem is, though, that I have no idea how long it could take; I'm
not even sure whether it could be a matter of hours, days, weeks, ...
So, I guess I am wondering if there's any way to gauge the progress of
the generation of these views -- or at least to be sure the views are
actually being generated and I'm not just watching the Futon
spinny-thing go on endlessly.

And, while I'm writing, I may as well ask whether it is possible that
this long view-generation time could possibly be an ongoing problem or
not.  That is, once the view has been generated once, can I be confident
that further generations (assuming I've only added a small number of
documents since the last generation) will be reasonably quick?  Or, will
the incremental view generation time go up as my database becomes bigger
and bigger?

Thanks!

Chris W.