From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Decision making process (Re: Changing rev to _rev in view results (Was: Re: newbie question #1))
Date Fri, 02 Jan 2009 13:16:39 GMT

On Jan 2, 2009, at 7:49 AM, Antony Blakey wrote:

> On 02/01/2009, at 11:07 PM, Chris Anderson wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 4:16 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr. <geir@pobox.com>
>> wrote:

>>> How can that be?  I assume that all decisions are made in public
>>> on the dev@
>>> mailing list.
>>>

>> The committers have a history of deferring to Damien (especially on
>> deeply technical matters like the document identity model). It's fair
>> to say that most of what we do is bug fixes and the like. When we
>> have
>> a new feature or module under development, we like to run the code by
>> Damien before we commit it. He understands CouchDB inside and out,
>> and
>> he's pretty good at seeing how an API detail or caching property will
>> effect the big picture of how people use CouchDB.
>
> That would confirm my presumption that it's probably a waste of time
> pushing something that Damien's firmly against, as opposed to
> expecting to vote on it.

That would be the case of any committer - anyone can veto a code
change, including one by Damien  (Technically it's a PMC member, but
some communities include all committers in this, which IMO is a good
way)

However, the fact that people defer to Damien is perfectly
reasonable.  (But remember the goal of an ASF community - you want to
make it strong enough that the original founders/motivators can step
back)

>> There have been votes on the dev list before, but they are rare
>> because we so often move with consensus.
>
> I'm merely curious bout this, but now that Couch is formally an
> Apache project, is there some Apace mandated consensus-driven
> decision making approach, or do they accept whatever model comes in
> - I'm wondering if the ASF brand might 'mean' something in that
> sense. And I've just noticed that Geir is on the ASF board - he
> should know if anyone does!

I'm not here as anything but an interested user that knows something
about the ASF, and I see in a followup that you found something on the
website :)  All is well.

geir