From "Chris Anderson" <jch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 0.9 Progress
Date Wed, 31 Dec 2008 02:48:41 GMT
On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 5:34 PM, Antony Blakey <antony.blakey@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm looking for feedback on the canonical/derived containment issue, the
> idea of having a defined directory for _externals to store data, and the
> idea of putting said directory/ies into the dbinfo call (and hence also each
> _external request).

So we're looking for something like (modified the dir structure so
that derived data is easily symlinked/configed to another drive):

my-favorite-db-6c38ab2b68f86d2c9.couch/
   name
   data

my-favorite-db-6c38ab2b68f86d2c9.indexes/
    views/
       my-design-doc-8ab2b68f866c3d2c9.view/
          name
          data
       my-other-design-doc-c3d2c98ab2b68f866.view/
          name
          data
    my-external-indexer/
        whatever
    my-other-external/

where  _external scripts can choose whatever non-conflicting directory
name they'd like, within the derived data part. (and store it however
they'd like...)

Also with the added optimization that when slug == the db name we
don't add the hash to the dirname.

I'm not sure about the db-info call's details (obviously externals
need the information, but we might not want to send it to http
clients...)

> I'm happy to do the work required, but given that I've published a proof of
> concept, I'd rather not do more work until I know it's worth it.

Consider yourself approved for landing. The work you have so far at
http://github.com/AntonyBlakey/couchdb/tree/escaped_filenames seems
sane, so it's just a matter of polishing it.

Thanks for taking the charge on better unicode support!

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com