From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Changing rev to _rev in view results (Was: Re: newbie question #1)
Date Tue, 30 Dec 2008 11:38:57 GMT

On 30 Dec 2008, at 12:22, Sven Helmberger wrote:

> Jan Lehnardt schrieb:
>>>
>>> We also haven't seen a good technical argument why the current
>>> state should be changed.
>> There is no technical argument. The argument is beginner-
>> friendlyness.
>
> And we can be a lot more beginner-friendly by just improving the
> documentation quality, something which is needed anyway.

Hi Sven,

please check dev@c.a.o for the entire discussion. I don't want to re-
iterate everything again. Just briefly: We don't control how people
learn CouchDB, but we control the API. You are certainly right that
our documentation should be decent, but a nicely designed API is the
first step to get there (note that I am not arguing either point of
the original discussion). Just having good documentation on a horrible
API is not going to cut it (See PHP's strstr(), preg_match(), ereg()
argument order. It's a perfect example of good docs for a
bad^Worganically grown API).

Cheers
Jan