From Balint Erdi <balint.e...@gmail.com>
Subject difficulties building couchdb
Date Fri, 19 Dec 2008 14:49:02 GMT
Hey all,

I would like to share how I could not make couchdb work when trying to
build everything from source. I try to keep it short but not omit
anything relevant at the  same time.

So I downloaded erlang (R12B5) and icu (4c4.0) and made the configure/
make/make install cycle for them. I tried the same with spidermonkey
but after a couple of hours of futile attempts I gave up and installed
the macports version.

Then came couchdb. I downloaded 0.8.1-incubating and the build went
fine with no errors. However, that's what I got when I launched couchdb:

$ couchdb
{"init terminating in do_boot","dlopen(/usr/local/lib/couchdb/erlang/
lib/couch-0.8.1-incubating/priv/lib/couch_erl_driver.so, 2): no
suitable image found.  Did find:\n        /usr/local/lib/couchdb/
erlang/lib/couch-0.8.1-incubating/priv/lib/couch_erl_driver.so: mach-
o, but wrong architecture"}

Getting a lot of help on the irc channel I have installed the latest
macports version of automake and autoconf since the above seemed like
the configure script guessed my architecture wrongly. After that I
reinstalled couchdb but received the same error.

I checked out the subversion head and compiled from there (after
putting the config.guess and config.sub files into the /build-contrib
directory of the source as suggested) which again went fine but
resulted in the above error.

(I also tried to rebuild erlang just to try something but this time
the make process ran into errors so I gave up).

Anyway, after all this, I decided to try the macports version of
couchdb which works perfectly so I am a happy couchdb user now but
just wanted to let you know. Maybe it is a bug that can be patched.
Ah, I use OSX 10.5.5.

And once more, thank all of you who helped me on the irc,
Balint