From "Dean Landolt" <d...@deanlandolt.com>
Subject Re: 0.9 Progress
Date Tue, 30 Dec 2008 18:05:41 GMT
On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 12:13 PM, Damien Katz <damien@apache.org> wrote:

> On Dec 30, 2008, at 2:25 AM, Chris Anderson wrote:
>
>  While it's exciting to be bike-shedding so vigoriously, my mind keeps
>> coming back to the things we could do to make CouchDB rock:
>>
>> Full Unicode database and design doc name handling:
>>
>> I think flexible database urls are worthy goal. We still need to
>> figure out how this will look on the file system. (Antony, any luck on
>> the name stubs?) Here's a related ticket asking for VERSION files
>> inside the db directories to help Debian warn against incompatible
>> upgrades: http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-44 Also
>> related: http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-168
>> (configurable derived data storage directory).
>>

> It's important we don't obfuscate the filenames unnecessarily. I'd love to
> support any possible database name, but not at the expensive of making it
> harder to debug for 99% of the other cases. As of yet, I don't know of
> anyone who is blocked right now because of this.

Antony's suggestion seems like it could do a nice job of accommodating all
cases:

if slugged-filename == original-filename:
    name-on-disk = original-filename
else:
    name-on-disk = slugged-filename+md5-of-original-filename

This way, if you want to ease administrative burden with a one-to-one
correlation between name and name-on-disk, just don't use any special
characters that would get slugged out. Throw the list of slugged chars on
the wiki and presto, everybody's happy...I think...