From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: clustering based on 2 columns
Date Mon, 22 Dec 2008 05:03:09 GMT

On 22/12/2008, at 3:21 PM, paul jobs wrote:

> /invites/_view/invites/bydate?
> count=100&group=true&startkey=["2008-12-21"]&endkey=["2008-12-21",{}]
> cool antony it works
> *interesting adding ,{} from startkey or removing ,{} from endkey
> doesnt
> work

That's because {} sorts after any other value, and the solution is
obvious when you know that. Sorry my previous responses were
misleading - I'm not working on Sunday by choice, so this thread got
the dregs of my attention.

BTW if you had to do a string prefix search you have to use a unicode
character after the prefix as the endkey, for exactly the same reason.
I've found that UTF 0xFFF8 is the last value that works. Theoretically
a unicode collation sepecification could collate that character before
some others - unicode collation in CouchDB hasn't been considered yet.

In UTF-8 0xFFF8 is: "\xEF\xBF\xB8", which is explicitly needed in e.g.
Ruby 1.8

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to
deficiencies.
   -- C. A. R. Hoare