From Robert Dionne <bob.dio...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Changing rev to _rev in view results (Was: Re: newbie question #1)
Date Mon, 29 Dec 2008 15:10:06 GMT
With respect to a meta structure, I was going to make this comment
yesterday as I think Geir was arguing for this:

It seems to me that occam's razor argues for the simplicity of a
single JSON doc, rather that a "metadoc" envelope that contains
another JSON doc embedded in it. It's not clear to me that creating
this separation of concerns buys anything at all. The use of an
underscore to designate distinguished fields at the top level is a
fairly easy convention to get your arms around. It also provides a
nice convention for extensions, .eg. "_external". Does it blur the
distinction between data and metadata, yes but I think that's a good
thing.

Perhaps it's useful to turn the argument around and ask what having a
separate metadoc buys you? You now presumably store the unique id in
one JSON fragment and the actual doc in another, how does this
simplify the code?

I guess I'm not a big fan of metadata