From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Changing rev to _rev in view results (Was: Re: newbie question #1)
Date Tue, 30 Dec 2008 00:09:40 GMT

On 30/12/2008, at 10:31 AM, Damien Katz wrote:

> The current rule is that every couch-domain value has a leading
> underscore when it appears in the root of a document. Your rule
> would mean that throughout the API, everything that has special
> significance should have an underscore. In views (key -> _key, value
> -> _value) in urls ( GET /db/doc?_rev="...") and design docs (views -
> > _views, map -> _map). That rule is simpler, but I think all the
> leading underscores are ugly (aethetics) and require more
> unnecessary typing (efficiency) and gain you no additional behaviors
> (functionality), and all for the sake of consistency to a slightly
> simpler rule.

i.e. this simpler rule promotes consistency, which leads to more
reliable understanding, over writing.

In all cases one should prefer readability/comprehensibility over
writability. That is a principle worth following.

And as far as writing is concerned, using name identity for values
that appear in multiple contexts makes it easier to write polymorphic
code e.g. a function that extracts the document id and revision from
either a view row or the document value (possibly) contained within.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the
intelligent are full of doubt.
   -- Bertrand Russell