From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Changing rev to _rev in view results (Was: Re: newbie question #1)
Date Mon, 29 Dec 2008 23:38:04 GMT

On 30/12/2008, at 12:51 AM, Damien Katz wrote:

> The current rule maybe not the most intuitive to a newbie, but it is
> far more consistent and easier to work with then when using the
> deeper APIs.

How is it 'far more consistent'. What measure of consistency are you
using? Name identity is more cognitively fundamental than name
contextuality. The consistency guaranteed by the asserting that a name
is a name is a name is of a more fundamental form than the application
of a different rule.

How is it 'easier to work with'? How does using _id and _rev
everywhere make it not easy? Surely it's not the difficulty of writing
code?

> The only 2 other workable solutions I see is to either stuff
> everything special into a _meta structure or only use HTTP headers
> for all CouchDB meta information. But after having spent much time
> thinking about this issue, I think the current rule is the better
> compromise.

A simple rule is that every couch-domain value has a leading
underscore. All technical issues disappear. Consistency ensues. Any
objection to this must be aesthetic.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to
believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
   -- Douglas Adams