From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: newbie question #1
Date Sun, 28 Dec 2008 13:32:44 GMT

On Dec 28, 2008, at 8:19 AM, Noah Slater wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 08:12:10AM -0500, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>> I've had this debate internally at 10gen too, and I'm not
>> interested in
>> picking a fight here :) I think that by reserving fields like this,
>> you can't
>> claim to be storing JSON anymore, but "JSON--" or "almost JSON".
>
> I think this is bogus. I've started calling these JSON profiles and
> they are
> just as much JSON as an XML vocabulary is a type of XML.

<sigh> :)

I didn't want to start this argument.

My point is that an arbitrary, legal JSON document can have "_id" and
"_rev" as fields, but you couldn't store that in CouchDB (or MongoDB,
for that matter), since CouchDB would want to use those reserved field
names for itself.

Maybe an example in XML-land might illustrate better - I think it
would be the same if an XML data store restricted the entities that
you could put in your schema...

Or maybe I can express it as a preference - I'd like a system that
could store any arbitrary JSON document.

That's all.

geir