From Richard Heycock <...@roughage.com.au>
Subject Re: how to change couchdb data dir?
Date Thu, 04 Dec 2008 08:41:54 GMT
Excerpts from Ben's message of Thu Dec 04 17:54:23 +1100 2008:
> I want to keep my data on a separate partition from the OS. I was
> wondering what ways there are and what you would recommend in terms of
> doing that?
>
> Options I can think of:
>
> 1. configure couchdb with certain options (./configue --help shows
> datarootdir and datadir options, but it says they're read-only). I'm a
> bit lost with this option.

Can't you just mount that 'separate' partition over the existing
directory. Using lvm on linux, for example I do the following:

    mount /dev/vg/couchdb /var/lib/couchdb

This does of course assume you are using Linux!

> 2. symlink the data dir. Seems straightforward, are there any pitfalls?

I would assume a sym link would work but if it didn't a bind mount would
certainly work: mount --bind <existing directory> <new directory>.

rgh