From "Chris Anderson" <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Document Updates
Date Fri, 14 Nov 2008 01:20:56 GMT
On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 5:02 PM, ara.t.howard <ara.t.howard@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 13, 2008, at 5:49 PM, Antony Blakey wrote:
>
>> You could use the view mechanism, and attach a "language" attribute, and
>> have this be a general transformation interface, which would indeed be very
>> nice. For efficiency you would want to apply this over sets of documents,
>> and probably in a transactional context like bulk update does now.
>>
>> However... Damien wants something to use in replication, which would mean
>> that javascript would then become a required, rather than an optional part
>> of Couch, because replication would require it (unless you made the
>> replication diff generator pluggable ... but why go there?). The benefit of
>> the declarative diff format is that applying a diff can be done within
>> Couch.
>
> couldn't these queries run in the view server?  in fact any mechanism which
> would allow the view server could accomplish this with a protocol between it
> and the db server.  basically it's an addition to the map/reduce
> functionality which would alter documents on the fly.

Antony's right the currently replication does not depend on the
availability of the view server. And I think it is smart to avoid that
dependence, when possible.

Alas, my attempt to bypass all the craziness that is canonical JSON,
has come short of that. Oh wells...

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com