From "Chris Anderson" <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Seeking advice on using couchdb for rewritting a project.
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2008 16:31:52 GMT
On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 2:30 AM, Burobjorn <burobjorn@gmail.com> wrote:
> - For instance is it possble to decide which documents should be
> replicated and which not? I can imagine people not wanting to replicate
> certain more private data to other hosts (such as passwords...).

Right now the only granularity available is at the database level.
That said, keeping all your passwords in one database and your
shareable data in another is a fine approach. In the future, there are
plans to allow replication to be filtered by a view, but I'm not sure
what security guarantees this will present.

> - Another issue would be the upload and download of attachments. We
> strive to let people upload only lossless formats such as wav, flac and
> aiff. However we want to make downloads available in lossy formats as
> well.Therefor we need to be able to process the audio so we can offer
> the lossy formats as well. This seems impossible to do without some
> commandline magic and the usage of applications like SOX. This would
> probably be hard to do on each localhost.

I'm interested in seeing how this shakes out, in general. I have a
feeling that we'll see some services continue to live in the cloud.
For instance, if enough people are in the position to use it, there's
probably money to be made by a generic audio transcoding service. Why
should we all have to hook up Amazon S3/SQS and LAME, when one good
working install should do the trick?

> Mhhm this might solve some of the previous mentioned issues. I need some
> more time to experiment with couchdb and see what we can do to
> facilitate this.

Yes, the point of my email was to encourage you (and others) to think
outside the box regarding application architectures. CouchDB gives us
the opportunity to rewrite some of the rules. We've probably only just
scratched the surface of what's possible.

> Now I remember where I heard your name before!

Cheers!
Chris

--
Chris Anderson