From "Paul Davis" <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: partial/diff updates?
Date Fri, 28 Nov 2008 03:32:13 GMT
On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 7:47 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 11:31:49AM +1030, Antony Blakey wrote:
>>
>> On 28/11/2008, at 10:36 AM, Chris Anderson wrote:
>>
>>> The question becomes why not just use seperate docs?
>>
>> Because the difficulty of doing real joins in a map/reduce framework
>> leads to larger documents that are destructured into smaller fragments
>
> I too do not buy this argument. It's like saying that the answer to scaling is
> to build smaller websites. There a instances where documents will be large
> enough that sending partial updates will be beneficial and I think the sooner we
> embrace this fact this the better. The only problem we face is that of
> standardisation, everything else is a distraction from the real issue.
>
> --

I think what Noah might be saying is, "As soon as there's a JSON diff
RFC, we'll implement it". Which I agree with completely. Until then,
if we implement something it'd most likely be not the RFC which we've
all had to deal with when coding to web 'standards'. It's not fun.

That said, pushing the JSON community towards acceptance of a diff
format is something we could do. Not sure how we should organize other
than all joining the JSON lists and pushing. And then nominating Noah
to write the RFC that we'll implement. Matter of fact I kinda like
that idea. Anyone with me?

Paul