From "Paul Davis" <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: partial/diff updates?
Date Thu, 27 Nov 2008 03:39:46 GMT
On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 8:00 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 05:34:14PM -0800, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
>> This keeps coming up. I am seeing the words "seems", "would", "some", "guess",
>> "scenario", "brokeback mountain". I rather see numbers supporting the
>> cause. So far, other things prove to be a bottleneck. I'd like to see a real
>> app that would benefit from this. I'm not saying there is none, I'd just like
>> to see it :)
>
> Brokeback mountain? What the... I think you've spent too long in the USA, you
> must be getting travel sick. Come back to Europe as quick as you can!
>
> My opinion is that if the community (CouchDB or JSON) can propose a workable
> JSON diff format with interoperable client implementations this would be a huge
> win for CouchDB, I wouldn't even need a specific use case to convince me.
>
> Damien points out that oftentimes large documents can be broken down into
> smaller documents, and you, quite rightly, ask for specific use cases. My view
> is that if the community can standardise this outside of CouchDB it's a win/win
> situation for everyone if we implement it.
>
> --

I'm with Noah on this one. Unlike other things I've seen recently, I
do not want to implement shoddy half thought out specs on the fly in
CouchDB. If the JSON community picked one, adding support would
probably be trivial and useful. Until then I don't really see much of
a point in creating some couchdb specific one.

That's not to say that we might not want to poke the JSON community
and say "decide" and use a bit of jan's clout to make things happen.
:D

Paul