From "ara.t.howard" <ara.t.how...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Any opinions on an NFS data store?
Date Tue, 11 Nov 2008 17:26:33 GMT

On Nov 11, 2008, at 10:03 AM, Mahesh Paolini-Subramanya wrote:

> Assuming just one CouchDB server, would having the data store be NFS
> based even work?
> What about multiple servers?  I can definitely see chaos emerging
> from multiple servers building View indexes simultaneously, but what
> if read-access was done with 'update=false'?
> What about writes with multiple servers?
>
> Just wondering if there are any *immediate* gotchas that I should be
> aware of (e.g., NFS - Just Say No :-)  )

it depends *greatly* on what your NFS sever is.  i've run linux-ha
machines with stonith serving postgresql on top of NFS and it was more
robust and faster that local disk.  how is that you ask?  huge ram/
cache and batter backed ram - thus any call to 'flush()' is
effectively a noop and therefore blindingly fast *and* robust.  we
failed over manually every monday and did so for over 3 years in a
24x7 situation with zero hitches.    this was a 250k netapp however.
if your NFS box is just a linux box w/o special hardware i'd be nervous.

cheers.

a @ http://codeforpeople.com/
better. simply reflect on that.
h.h. the 14th dalai lama