From "Dean Landolt" <d...@deanlandolt.com>
Subject Re: Seeking advice on using couchdb for rewritting a project.
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2008 20:27:43 GMT
On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 2:34 PM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@prima.de> wrote:

> On 12.11.2008, at 19:26, "Dean Landolt" <dean@deanlandolt.com> wrote:
>
>  On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 12:55 PM, Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com
>> >wrote:

>>> This used to be correct. Attachments no longer have to be base64
>>> encoded when using the standalone attachments API.
>>>

>> One thing I've wondered about was streaming? At some point I want to dump
>> in
>> my mp3 collection and write a simple _external app with a flash music
>> player
>> that could play songs on the fly. My guess is it would work fine with
>> chunked responses, but what about jumping ahead past a buffered point?
>>

> Jumping doesn't work yet. Can you open a JIRA feature request for the
> skipping? I might give it a shot.

I can open a JIRA for an arbitrary seek, which may be universally useful,
but it probably wouldn't work for things like variable bit rate mp3s, and I
doubt it would work for serving video (something couch is otherwise pretty
well suited for). I remember reading that for certain container formats of
video this is possible with a special index in the beginning of the file. Of
course, all of this would be way out of scope for couch to know about -- it
would probably make a great plugin though.