From Jedediah Smith <jeded...@silencegreys.com>
Subject Re: sums by date view
Date Sun, 23 Nov 2008 05:09:32 GMT

Jan Lehnardt wrote:
> If you query `_view/viewname`, you get the total sum of all `doc.amount`
> instances.
>
> If you are using [2008, 11, 22, 21, 01, 00] for the date you can do:
>
>  - query `_view/viewname?group_level=1` to get all amounts per year
>  - query `_view/viewname?group_level=2` to get all amounts per months
>  - etc...

This would only give you the net difference for the given time period,
not the absolute balance in the account. To get the balance for date d
you need "sum(doc.amount) where doc.date < d".

A possible compromise would be to use group_level to find the balance
per component and then add those together on the client. Example:

balance(2008-11-22) =
   sum(-inf to 2007-) +
   sum(2008-01- to 2008-10-) +
   sum(2008-11-01 to 2008-11-22)

Or is this what you meant?

A less arbitrary grouping method could also be used like converting the
date to a second count and grouping by individual bits.

This doesn't quite meet my criteria but would at least make better use
of view indexes, assuming they work like I imagine they do. If a view
like the above existed and I updated an old transaction, there would
only be one rereduce for each group level, right?