From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: partial/diff updates?
Date Thu, 27 Nov 2008 12:06:40 GMT

On 27/11/2008, at 10:10 PM, Noah Slater wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 08:45:18PM +1030, Antony Blakey wrote:
>>> * JPath its self is a nebulous concept.
>>
>> In what sense do you think the concept is nebulous?
>
> It lacks an RFC. :)

I didn't realize that JSON had an RFC! Now that I've read it, I think
that this statement:
   "A JSON text is a serialized object or array."
which dominates this subsequent statement:
   "The names within an object SHOULD be unique."
clearly resolves the ambiguity discussed in a previous thread
regarding duplicate hash keys, in the manner that I suggested. Namely,
duplicate keys are not allowed because they cannot be the result of
serializing a javascript object. It specifically defines a JSON
*text*, so model equivalence isn't sufficient.
Given that JPath is a subset of javascript access path syntax and
semantics, would a definition that references the appropriate ECMA
clauses meet with your approval? Or is this issue blocked IYO until a
full JSON transformation/mutation/update RFC is approved (whatever
approval means).
Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to
deficiencies.
   -- C. A. R. Hoare