From Bradford Winfrey <bradswinf...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Write performance vs. query performance
Date Tue, 04 Nov 2008 16:07:59 GMT
Well, the first big plus is that it's non-blocking.  So as people are reading, they won't be
hung up while the writes finish.  Having said that things that are being written while someone
is reading won't be immediately available in said reads (but will be available for any which
take place there after as long as the update=false parameter isn't specified).

As I've used it, I can say that I've been quite pleased with it's responsiveness while many
reads and writes are being executed simultaneously.  Keep in mind though that each document
upon creation is indexed as it's written, so depending on your views, your mileage may vary.

All, correct me where appropriate if I've mislead this guy...

Brad

________________________________
From: Jonathan Ginter <jonathan.ginter@coradiant.com>
To: couchdb-user@incubator.apache.org
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2008 4:10:03 PM
Subject: Write performance vs. query performance

I am curious about the performance of CouchDB for write-intensive
applications.  Our application typically writes in the tens of millions
of records (in this case, documents) per day.  Would CouchDB be able to
handle that kind of load while still being responsive to queries?  Is it
only a matter of scaling up the deployed hardware to solve that problem?

Thanks.

Jonathan