From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Write performance vs. query performance
Date Tue, 04 Nov 2008 16:21:39 GMT

On Nov 4, 2008, at 17:07, Bradford Winfrey wrote:

> Well, the first big plus is that it's non-blocking.  So as people
> are reading, they won't be hung up while the writes finish.  Having
> said that things that are being written while someone is reading
> won't be immediately available in said reads (but will be available
> for any which take place there after as long as the update=false
> parameter isn't specified).

Every write will be available at the time said write is reported to be
complete. If there is a read operation that started before the write
finished, it will not know about the write. And it shouldn't :)

> As I've used it, I can say that I've been quite pleased with it's
> responsiveness while many reads and writes are being executed
> simultaneously.  Keep in mind though that each document upon
> creation is indexed as it's written, so depending on your views,
> your mileage may vary.

Actually, documents are not indexed upon creation. View indexes are
build (i.e. indexing docs happens) on querying a view. Dirty reads are
possible with the update=false parameter. You can have as many views
as you want without having write-speed degrade.

Cheers
Jan