From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: partial/diff updates?
Date Thu, 27 Nov 2008 01:34:14 GMT

On 26 Nov 2008, at 09:57, Liam Staskawicz wrote:

> When updating a document, is there any notion of submitting a
> partial update?  It seems like being able to specify that only some
> subset of the fields in a document should be updated would offer
> some efficiency benefits.  I guess I had in mind some scenario where
> CouchDB would create the updated record by merging the existing
> revision with the new info and saving the updated revision, but I'm
> still new to CouchDB so I don't have a good sense of whether this
> tramples on any important concepts.
>
> Thanks for any thoughts.

This keeps coming up. I am seeing the words "seems", "would", "some",
"guess", "scenario", "brokeback mountain". I rather see numbers
supporting the cause. So far, other things prove to be a bottleneck.
I'd like to see a real app that would benefit from this. I'm not
saying there is none, I'd just like to see it :)

Cheers
Jan