From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Largest CouchDB dbs?
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2008 09:34:56 GMT

On Nov 3, 2008, at 10:26, Ask Bjørn Hansen wrote:

> On Nov 2, 2008, at 21:19, Paul Davis wrote:
>
>> View updates are admittedly slower than we'd like. There's planned
>> work on making this sort of thing parallelized to automagically fill
>> out multi-node clusters. Last I remember this is a 'probably 1.0'
>> feature though.
>

> I wonder if some of the slowness is from running it through JS? Perl
> has an extremely fast JSON parser (JSON::XS), would there be any
> potential optimization in using an alternate view language like that
> - or is most of the time spent elsewhere?

Another part is the Erlang to JSON conversion that is known to be slow-
ish. I don't know
which side of the conversion weighs more though. We are working with
the Erlang
community and developers to get a C-based JSON encoder into Erlang.
Since building
a view server is relatively straightforward, giving a Perl version a
shot is probably worth it.

Which Erlang version are you running. R11B-x is known for causing view-
build slowness.
R12B-3 and R12B-4 are good.

> I don't expect more than a few tens of thousands of new documents a
> day though, so other than on index changes this isn't such a big deal.

That sounds about correct.

Cheers
Jan