From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: partial/diff updates?
Date Thu, 27 Nov 2008 09:58:30 GMT
On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 01:53:21AM -0500, Jedediah Smith wrote:
> You'd need a few rules for resolving ambiguities and attachments would
> probably have to use a different url (_attachment/file?) but it would be very
> convenient and RESTful.

The way I understand it, you're proposing to operate using HTTP verbs on subsets
of a JSON document using something functionally identical to XPath for XML.

The problems I see with this approach are:

 * JPath its self is a nebulous concept.

 * You're minting new URIs for each JPath expression. Ideally this would be done
   via query strings so that the resource URI maintained its identity.

 * There would be no way to do multiple updates per document, or to operate on
   multiple documents at the same time.