From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: partial/diff updates?
Date Wed, 26 Nov 2008 20:20:34 GMT
On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 09:57:24AM -0800, Liam Staskawicz wrote:
> When updating a document, is there any notion of submitting a partial update?
> It seems like being able to specify that only some subset of the fields in a
> document should be updated would offer some efficiency benefits.  I guess I
> had in mind some scenario where CouchDB would create the updated record by
> merging the existing revision with the new info and saving the updated
> revision, but I'm still new to CouchDB so I don't have a good sense of whether
> this tramples on any important concepts.

Nope, CouchDB does not support this at the moment. If you want to make an update
you have to send the entire document each time.

There is some discussion among CouchDB users and developers about the benefits
of partial updates but it seems the real sticking point so far is deciding on
the mechanism for enabling this. It seems the rough consensus at this point is
that whatever method we use be something that is standardised, either through a
standards body or de facto within the larger JSON community.

Hope this helps,