From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Document Updates
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2008 17:20:55 GMT
On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 09:14:47AM -0800, Michael Ramirez wrote:
> If I begin breaking up my documents into related documents aren't I just
> creating a relational database?

Well, I don't think Damien was dismissing differential updates.

I do disagree with Damien on his points about root level changes. I think a
generic JSON diff format would be hugely advantageous. Again, this is the kind
of thing that would need to be standardised and baked into JSON client libraries
before it could be used properly though.

I think Damien was pointing out that no matter if you have differential updates,
the size of the documents still effects performance; disk IO, memory and view
calculation all suffer. So, there is a balance to strike between convenience and
performance. It is entirely up to you how that should be addressed per app.