From Michael Ramirez <michael_ramire...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Document Updates
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2008 17:14:47 GMT
If I begin breaking up my documents into related documents aren't I just creating a relational
database?

Michael

----- Original Message ----
From: Damien Katz <damien@apache.org>
To: couchdb-user@incubator.apache.org
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2008 10:00:44 AM
Subject: Re: Document Updates

I was planning on something similar this for field and attachment level replication, where
only the fields or attachments that are changed are replicated. With the scheme I'm thinking
of, it's possible to have it incremental at any nested level of the doc tree, but I'm not
sure the extra overhead is worth doing it beyond the root fields.

However, Michael's concern of the document getting larger and the app getting slower still
applies, the document must still be loaded into memory on the server and the diffs applied,
and the complete doc will need to be loaded into memory for view indexing too. Michael, regardless
of the diff updates, I'm thinking you need to break you document up into multiple documents.

-Damien