From "Brit Gardner" <b...@britg.com>
Subject Thinking outside the RDBMS box - how do I... ?
Date Tue, 28 Oct 2008 15:34:43 GMT
Howdy,

I've been banging my head around some previous threads and how they may
apply to the following scenario, i.e. using some of the techniques presented
in 'Associating Users and Comments' from earlier, but my scenario differs a
bit:

- we have data coming in off mobile phones
- the key in this data is the phone number of the originating phone
- we have user-defined groups
- groups can consist of multiple phone numbers
- groups can be created at any time and will include all legacy data from
before the group was created as well as all new incoming data
- phone numbers can exist in multiple groups
- ultimately, data is accessed through the groups

This is a fairly straight-forward RDBMS system, but I'm wondering is there a
good way to approach this in a map-reduce context?  i.e. do I need to update
every data document on the fly when groups are created? Or, maybe I should
keep the data keys stored in the group documents.  If group document holds
the existing data keys as well as being updated with all incoming data keys
- won't that create a bottleneck since documents must be fully written when
updated?

Thanks in advance for any input!