From kowsik <kow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Getting only updates from a view
Date Mon, 27 Oct 2008 03:54:15 GMT
The view server (couchjs) today is primarily a local process
interacting with couch through stdin/stdout. This is the one that does
all the map/reduce. I can envision at some point (not sure if and when
it's planned), the view servers executing on remote machines through
the exact same line-based JSON protocol (though using TCP) to heavily
parallelize the map/reduce process. The incremental set of documents
to be indexed can be easily chunked and distributed across this
cluster. Until that's possible, the single machine solution is going
to require some serious compute power (and lots of memory).

IMHO, this [potential] parallelization (in addition to all the
benefits of document-centric storage) is what makes couch incredibly
attractive from a scaling perspective.

K.