From "Lance Pollard" <lancorn...@gmail.com>
Subject When to use CouchDB, when not to...
Date Sun, 12 Oct 2008 19:28:43 GMT
Hi,

I was wondering if there are any general or specific rules/principles that
guide your decisions to use Document Oriented Databases like CouchDB over
Relational Databases like MySQL.  There is no information on when to
specifically, down to the table-names or showing an example schema/site,
that I am aware of on the Internet...
I am using Merb and DataMapper and there is talk about using both CouchDB
and MySQL together in a single application, with MySQL being used for more
static entities like user accounts and contact info and CouchDB being used
for more dynamic entities like images or uploads or things that have
variable amounts and types of properties, but it's unclear.
What's the best way/pattern to separate out the roles each database plays in
an application? If, for example, you wanted to create a crazy website with
social networking, eCommerce, job posting, instant messaging, etc., there
would be an enormous amount of different entities/objects in the database
all relating to each other (assets = photos, songs, videos, blogposts…,
others = users, orders, profiles, products, tags…), and if you had
everything taggable, authenticated, and commentable, then that would add a
lot of interconnectivity between the tables/entities/objects/classes.  So I
was thinking how/when you should choose MySQL and how/when you should choose
CouchDB.  I haven't been able to find anything on the internet outlining
this clearly.  I'm sure it can be outlined well though.

Maybe it could be such that:

-MySQL handles entities that have 1) static properties (columns of tables
are pretty much constant, like a "user_account" or "contact_address" are…),
and 2) static (username) or dynamic (chunk of text) values.
-CouchDB handles things that have 1) dynamic properties (columns in
relational database become "keys" or whatever in Couch, and these keys
aren't fixed but can change from resource to resource), and 2) dynamic
values only. And 3) Couch would handle all uploaded/attachment data because
many documents, even if they are the same type (image, video, word…), might
have different properties depending on the situation.

I've just been trying to think how you could manage 10s or 100s of potential
"entities/tables" in a database and wanted to pass it your way to get your
input.

If CouchDB handled things that only had "dynamic" properties, then an
"image" entity for example could have [title, caption, size,
attachment_fu.stuff] in one case and [title, tags] in another, or whatever;
there is no need to have a single "Images" table with a specified set of
properties (rows).  Image properties or rows can instead be dynamic.  But
what entities do we choose to be dynamic?

So instead of having single inheritance in relational databases and huge
table with tons of null columns, you could have, basically, a
table-per-asset, or a document--that's what Couch is.  But what kind of
structure do you apply to Couch documents?  And what entity should be placed
in Couch vs. MySQL?  Maybe all file-uploads can go to Couch and all
structured-mostly-unchanging entities, like user accounts, can go to MySQL?

But then, is it easy to connect data-objects between two distinct databases?
Like if a user (from MySQL) has_many images (from CouchDB), would doing the
'finds' be expensive or anything?

Just some thoughts on how and when to use Couch vs. MySQL. Any answers to
this question would really help out a ton.

Best,
Lance