From Michele Sciabarra <mich...@sciabarra.com>
Subject Re: A modest proposal for an erlang api for couchdb, v2
Date Mon, 15 Sep 2008 13:16:25 GMT
Chris Anderson ha scritto:
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 6:32 AM, Michele Sciabarra
> <msciab@eprometeus.com> wrote:
>
>> But I realized that the internals of CouchDb are, of course, internals. Too
>> low level to be useful.
>> So I started to think about an API to be exposed that is simple enough to be
>> used.
>>
>> To do so, I decided to start from the exposed layer, that is implemented in
>> the couch_http.erl file.
>>
>> My idea was to write a couch_api.erl module that is doing essentially the
>> same things that couch_httpd.erl does, only translated in an Erlang-ish API.
>>

> Another approach worth considering, is if the API that couch_httpd.erl
> uses to access the internals, could be made into a public API. Maybe
> it's just six of one, half-dozen of the other, but making couch_httpd
> use a public API would mean we'd be dog-fooding, so it'd be assured to
> stay up to date and all that.

Well, yes! Actually my real idea was to  refactor the couch_http.erl in
order to expose the api I depicted.
It was just that I considered such a task a bit too invasive to be
accepted from "newbie" contributor.
So the first step was to see if the project can accept such an API I am
proposing,
and maybe in the future we can allow the couch_http to use such an API.