From "Chris Anderson" <jch...@grabb.it>
Subject wiki license
Date Mon, 25 Aug 2008 17:11:40 GMT
Couchers,

It's come to my attention that the wiki has no license provision
whatsoever. As CouchDB grows in popularity there will be books etc
written about it, and if we've already got documentation under a free
license, it will increase the chances that documentation created for
inclusion in a book will be contributed back to the wiki/project in
general.

I was unable to find an example of another Apache project wiki with a
specified license, or anything on the ASF site regarding documentation
licenses, so we may be treading new ground here. If we can come to a
consensus, we should take our plan to legal-discuss or other
appropriate Apache-general mailing list, to get their feedback about
how to apply the license to the wiki (contacting past authors etc).

I'll start the ball rolling by suggesting these 3 licenses:

* Apache 2.0
+ same as our source code
- not a documentation license

* Creative Commons Attribution / Share-Alike
+ easy to grok
+ documentation friendly

* GNU Free Documentation License
+ same as Wikipedia
- some people are scared of "gnu"

I know some of you are much more versed in the pros and cons of
various licenses than I am. Also, there may be some important options
I've left out.

And if anyone can find any references to how the ASF has handled this
sort of thing in the past, that would be incredibly helpful. No need
to reinvent the wheel if we can help it.

* fingers-crossed that I don't start a licensing flame war *

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com