From "Chris Anderson" <>
Subject Re: Backup of couchdb
Date Thu, 21 Aug 2008 23:35:43 GMT

If you maintain a backup using CouchDB replication, you'll have the
advantage of incremental updates, so while the first backup might take
longer than it would doing a purely file-based approach, you'll save
time overall.

On the flip-side, if you are restoring from backup, or otherwise want
to clone an entire couchdb database, the fastest method is through
duplicating the my-database.couch file.

In your case I'd probably set up replication on a cron job to put the
data on another ec2 instance. And then periodically backup the .couch
files to s3.

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 4:17 PM, Niket Patel <> wrote:
> Hello,
> We started using CouchDB in production system hosted on EC2
> So, I'm bit worried about backup,
> I figured it can be as simple as backing up database file and replication,
> still I like to know,
> Is there anyone using couchdb in production and have strong suggestions on
> topic from their experiences.
> I hardly found anything on wiki or web for CouchDB backup.
> Thanks
> Niket

Chris Anderson

View raw message