From "Paul Davis" <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Reduce is Really Slow!
Date Wed, 20 Aug 2008 20:56:17 GMT
If I'm not mistaken, you have a number of documents that all have a
given 'name'. And you want the list of elements for each value of
'name'. To accomplish this in db, land, you could use a design
document like [1].

Then to get the data for any given doc name, you'd query your map like
[2]. This gets you everything emitted with a given doc name. The
underlying idea to remember in getting data out of couch is that your
maps should emit things that sort together. Then you can use 'slice'
operations to pull at the documents you need.

You're values aren't magically in one array, but merging the arrays in
app-land is easy enough.

If I've completely screwed up what you were going after, let me know.

[1] http://www.friendpaste.com/2AHz3ahr
[2] http://localhost:5984/dbname/_view/design_docid/index?startkey=["docname"]&endkey=["docname",
some_value_that_sorts_after_last_possible_date]

Paul

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 4:32 PM, Nicholas Retallack
<nickretallack@gmail.com> wrote:
> Replacing 'return values' with 'return values.length' shows you're
> right.  4 minutes for the first query, miliseconds afterward, as
> opposed to forever.
>
> I guess I was expecting reduce to do things it wasn't designed to do.
> I notice ?group=true&group_level=1 is ignored unless a reduce function
> of some sort exists though.  Is there any way to get this grouping
> behavior without such extreme reductions in result size / performance?
>
> The view I was using here (http://www.friendpaste.com/2AHz3ahr) was
> designed to simply take each document with the same name and merge
> them into one document, turning same-named fields into lists (here's a
> more general version http://www.friendpaste.com/Ud6ELaXC).  This
> reduces the document size, but only by whatever overhead the repeated
> field names would add.  The fields I was reducing only contained
> integers, so reduction did shrink documents by quite a bit.  It was
> pretty handy, but the query took 25 seconds to return one result even
> when called repeatedly.
>
> Is there some technical reason for this limitation?
>
> I had assumed reduce was just an ordinary post-processing step that I
> could run once and have something akin to a brand new generated table
> to query on, so I wrote my views to transform my data to fit the
> various ways I wanted to view it.  It worked fine for small amounts of
> data in little experiments, but as soon as I used it on my real
> database, I hit this wall.
>
> Are there plans to make reduce work for these more general
> data-mangling tasks?  Or should I be approaching the problem a
> different way?  Perhaps write my map calls differently so they produce
> more rows for reduce to compact?  Or do something special if the third
> parameter to reduce is true?
>
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 5:41 PM, Damien Katz <damien@apache.org> wrote:
>> You can return arrays and objects, whatever json allows. But if the object
>> keeps getting bigger the more rows it reduces, then it simply won't work.
>>
>> The exception is that the size of the reduce value can be logarithmic with
>> respect to the rows. The simplest example of logarithmic growth is the
>> summing of a row value. With Erlangs bignums, the size on disk is
>> Log2(Sum(Rows)), which is perfectly acceptable growth.
>>
>> -Damien
>>
>> On Aug 19, 2008, at 8:14 PM, Nicholas Retallack wrote:
>>
>>> Oh!  I didn't realize that was a rule.  I had used 'return values' in
>>> attempt to run the simplest test possible on my data.  But hey, values is
>>> an
>>> array.  Does that mean you're not allowed to return objects like arrays