From "Paul Davis" <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Optionally including docs in view results
Date Tue, 05 Aug 2008 19:20:11 GMT
On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 3:06 PM, Chris Anderson <jchris@grabb.it> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 11:26 AM, Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com> wrote:
>> There was a similar idea posted on another thread that I really liked,
>> looked at implementing and got scared of because of the mentioned
>> replication stuff in bulk docs.
>>
>> The basic idea was to be able to post something like the following to _bulk_docs
>>
>> {
>>  "put": {doc1, doc2, doc3}
>>  "delete": {doc4, doc5}
>>  "get": {doc6}
>> }
>
> This idea has its upsides, but I'm wary of breaking
> backwards-compatibility with _bulk_docs.

I feel that I should point out that couch is at 0.9, I don't think
it'd be too big of a deal to break compatibility. Especially if it'd
benefit a large segment of users.

> However, I don't see anything wrong with the way _bulk_docs currently
> handles create/update/delete (even if it isn't RESTful).

I've never been accused of being a REST purist. :D Is this violating
rest because a resource is exposed at more than URI? If so, phooey to
that. If I'm missing some finer point then I wouldn't mind being
enlightened.

> On IRC there have been some good arguments in favor of an include_docs
> option for view, which could be used with _all_docs and multi-key view
> requests to yield the _load_docs (fetch docs in bulk) feature.
>
> Also with that design Tom's original question on this thread would be
> a simple case.
>

> --
> Chris Anderson
> http://jchris.mfdz.com

I'm kind of partial to the _transaction method, but I'm not at against
an include docs either. But I get the feeling that we're going to run
into some implementation issues somewhere. I haven't completely groked
couch's concurrency model and I wonder what Damien would say about
fetching docs after passing over a view (I'm pretty sure I heard him
talk once about taking moving across spindles into account which is
way beyond the level at which I think of things)